Monday, September 24, 2018

Myrdalsjokull Glacier- Iceland Day 2



I thought we were just going to step foot on a glacier.... I thought the glaciers were melting and we probably shouldn't stand on them.

Myrdalsjokull Glacier

Why do I need these shoes? And what on earth are we doing with a harness?

Image may contain: outdoor
 I thought we were going to repel and got very anxious. I have a list of how I want to die- this is not on it! Shameck (Did I spell that right?) Our Polish guide with an Irish name made me go to the front of the line as punishment for my uncertainty.  He did a great job at hacking away at the glacier (Are we sure it's global warming that is causing the glacier to recede?) to create safe steps for us. We went to about 3/4 up the glacier and it was quite a hike. Around 4 kilometers.
Here are some shots of the glacier. You can see the volcanic soil mixed in. We couldn't describe to vibrant, anoxic blue but the combination was so much prettier than the lens could capture.
Even Yukon Cornelius made an appearance!



                                    I'm glad I went for it. I pictured dangling from a rope!


After we left the glacier, a tad sweaty, and then we had a nice lunch of cabbage, carrot & ham soup and 2 Boli beers!
Off to visit VIK!


















Sneaker waves can kill you here! Be careful. It's hard to see where the water comes up and it can do it quickly! I understand why people have died here!




No comments:

Post a Comment